The Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership [LEP] has committed to help to improve broadband throughout the LEP area. To do this they need as many businesses of all sizes to register their need for improved broadband services, now and in the future.
To assist, Coast to Capital has created a simple form, aimed specifically at business users. Quite simply the more demand that‘s demonstrated, the more likely it is that industry providers will invest in the area. Coast to Capital will pass the geographical location data to participating local authorities to ensure the 'dots on the map' are comprehensive.
More and more businesses are using the internet to promote themselves and reach clients they wouldn't easily be able to contact otherwise. With the use of social media and electronic communication of all types information can be exchanged at the click of a button, saving companies both time and money.
The demand for faster internet is increasing constantly, with benefits ranging from reduced costs when placing online orders to checking stock levels, sending large files (such as maps and technical drawings, graphics etc.) as well as order tracking and video conferencing.
A fast broadband connection gives businesses a competitive edge, for example:
- Cheaper and more flexible telecoms - Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is a technology that allows you to make telephone calls using your broadband Internet connection instead of your (analogue) phone line. This works much better with faster broadband.
- Video and data conferencing - Video conferencing allows users to speak and see each other, to share data, documents, images and sound when they are not physically in the same location.
- Share your broadband connection - With a high speed broadband connection, you can easily share connection to the Internet amongst several PCs or other devices in your business.
- Virtual working /Teleworking – the use of Broadband with other technologies has led to the emergence of a new form of working. This mixture of new technology and patterns of work has become known as Teleworking or Virtual Working.
- Virtual Private Networks (VPN) - A VPN is a secure way for you to give remote access to your main office computer network to other branch offices, or individuals working at home or in other locations (e.g. sales staff on the road).
- Software as a Service (SaaS) - SaaS is a new way of using computer applications such as accounts systems, email marketing systems etc. Companies provide a whole range of computer applications via the Internet on an outsourced, "pay as you go" or monthly basis.
Further information and to complete the form visit the LEP website: http://www.coast2capital.org.uk/broadband
Read related items on:
Communications, IT and new media
Coast to Capital LEP