Following a meeting last week (April 28) between Shakedown and the City Safety Advisory Group the proposed landlord’s consent for the planned Shakedown Festival at Stanmer Park on July 9 cannot now be given.
However, subject to consent, a new date has been proposed for Saturday September 17.
The event has been postponed because the local Safety Advisory Group, comprising the council and emergency services, which works with organisers to deliver safe and well-managed events, says preparations are behind schedule and the safety of those attending is of paramount importance.
All such events must submit a detailed plan approved by the Safety Advisory Group in order to secure a licence and landlord’s consent from the council. Permission for the original date was dependent on a plan being submitted by an April 15 deadline.
Shakedown Director Matt Priest today said: “We would like to sincerely apologise to anyone disappointed by this postponement, but would like to assure everyone affected that it will ultimately lead to a far safer and more enjoyable event. We would also like to assure everyone that the festival is financially secure and all monies from ticket sales are protected. We are now working with our current line-up of artists to reschedule them to our new date of September 17 and we will announce the full line-up on May 11. Moving the date is not ideal but we will work closely with the council to deliver a great event in September. Ticket sales have been excellent so far and we expect that to continue.”
A council spokesman said, “We’re still working with Shakedown to help them deliver a safe, well-managed event. But the council and emergency services felt they needed more time to do that, hence the new date.”
Read related items on:
Brighton & Hove City Council