Breaking Down Barriers is holding its inaugural conference, entitled “Working Together - Making the Difference” on Wednesday 9th June 2010 at the Jury’s Inn Hotel in Brighton.
The one day conference will be hosted by Hazel Squires (Associate Equality & Diversity Advisor, Adult Children & Learning, West Sussex County Council) with keynote presentations from Nick Wilkinson, Assistant Chief Constable, Sussex Police and Graham Hill, Senior Manager, Victim Support. The day also offers a choice of three workshops on Hate Crime, Disability and Identity / Gender / Transgender, along with the opportunity to discuss, question and create action points on the topics.
The conference will highlight the work of Breaking Down Barriers, a diversity training resource that has delivered training/talks/workshops on a local and national scale since 2007.
The conference is aimed at those working in
- Equality and Diversity,
- Community/Voluntary Workers,
- Health Care Providers,
- Education providers,
- Police and other Emergency Services,
- HR and Recruitment,
- Social Workers,
- Community Safety Officers,
- Crown Prosecution Service Staff
- anyone interested in “making the difference”.
The conference offers participants the opportunity to:
- Listen to accounts of life as experienced by someone who is in a minority or just perceived by the majority to be different and learn the skills to apply best practice when engaging with them
- Challenge their own biases and stereotypes
- Identify where partnership working needs to be happening in order to deliver inclusive services
- Explore assumptions, attitudes and behaviours
- Look at how prejudice and discrimination manifests itself
- The opportunity to engage with services supporting victims of hate crime
- Engage in Networking
The main concept of this conference is for delegates to take something back to their own organisation which will support them to ‘work together and make the difference’. This will be achieved through considering different people’s perspectives and exchanging best practice ideas from other professionals.
Registration fees: Full Rate £165, Reduced Rate (Local Authority) £145, Supported Rate (Third sector) £95 Registration is now open at www.breakingdownbarriers.org.uk/conference2010.html Places are limited so early registration is recommended.
Read related items on: